Shoujo Jidai (SNSD / Girl’s Generation) recently released the PV to the Japanese version of Genie (Tell me Wish). Like the Korean version, the Japanese version sounds just as awesome. Maybe a little even better. As for the PV, I’m pretty split about which is better than the other. Both versions have aspects where one outshines the other.
How the Japanese version OWNs the Korean version
- Japanese version sounds slightly better
- Unlike the Korean version, there are no annoying flashing lights throughout the video
- Solo shots are more evenly split (I think)
- Their legs look nicer which makes the “leg swish” dance even better
- Yuri, Hyoyeon, Yoona, Sooyoung look more attractive here
- Overall, members have better hairstyles here especially during the dance shots
How the Korean version PWNs the Japanese version
- Way better intro. Yoona sitting in the lamp and having the other members magically appear beats having some random guy rubbing a lamp and peaking inside a circus tent.
- Blond Jessica
- Features more outfits
- Solo shots in Japanese ver. are rather plain
- Tiffany’s “DJ. Put it back on” looks better
- Taeyeon looks fiercer doing her adlibbing
The Genie single will be released on September 8. Other notable artists releasing on the same day are Ai Otsuka, Glay, and French Kiss (AKB48 Sub-unit). Going by recent past sales, Glay is probably SNSD’s biggest competition. At best, SNSD will probably get #2 on the Oricon charts.